Monday, December 12, 2005

Part 3

(Continued from last post)

So I fast forward a couple days to Friday. It was February 12th 1993. Why do I remember that day? Well I remember it for a couple reasons. The first was because it was the day I was asked on my first "real" date. It was going to be a group date, but it was still going to be a date. The date was for the following Sunday which was going to be Valentine's day, and the guys were going to take us girls out for bowling and dinner. I was nervous and excited. No one had ever asked me on a date before. Yes, I was sixteen, almost a month away from 17, and never been on a real date. I had always just met guys through friends, and well, just hooked up and became a "couple". So my stomach was filled with butterflies.

Another reason that day sticks out in my memory was the bomb threat.

The day started like most days, with my mom dropping me off at the smoking section on her way to work. (Yes it was an official smoking section at my school. It was closed down at the end of the next year, so my graduating class was the last to have it.) I walked in, searched for and found Chrissy talking to Todd and another of my friends Michelle. So I walk over, and Todd asks me to help pull his hair back in a pony tail. As I'm straightening his pony tail, he asked me if I would like to join him for dinner and bowling for Valentine's night with the "group". I blush (there's that damned blushing again) and say yes. So we all start talking about something or other, and then I realize that I am out of cigarettes. So I ask Chrissy if I can bum a couple until we can go get some at lunch. She opens her pack and only has one left. Michelle states she is out too. So we collectively decide that it is more important to ditch 1st hour and head to Circle K for smokes and then to Dunkin donuts for breakfast. So off we go in Todd's huge, ugly, bright blue, "hoopty" Chevy Impala. As we sneak back on campus through the back gate, we notice everyone, and I mean everyone evacuating all the classrooms and heading out to the football Stadium.

In the chaos, I manage to find a classmate from the hour I just ditched and she fills me in. A man phoned in a bomb threat and was believable enough to cause 3000 students to evacuate. So we follow everyone to the field and find a place on the bleachers. You would think everyone would be freaking out, crying, stressed out, scared or in panic mode. Well, as far as my memory serves, it was not like that at all. It was one of the funnest times that year. It was like a giant get-together or party on the bleachers. Somehow a few people managed to have a radio, so we had music blasting over the PA system, the faculty were too frantic and busy to stop us from smoking, and to top it off we weren't in class. Hooray!

No one REALLY believed there was stupid bomb. We watched the cops arrive with the robot they send in to dismantle suspected explosives. It turns out it was some kind of smoke bomb or a poorly put together bomb that didn't go off. It was disposed of, and by that time it was lunch, so we were all told to leave for lunch but there was no reason that we shouldn't return at the regularly scheduled time. So we leave (with no intention of returning of course). My house was the closest so we headed there. Before we left, I called my mom and asked if "the gang" could come with me. She said it was cool.

Now I had been talking to my mom about this guy, Todd, that Chrissy was setting me up with all week, so my mom was excited to meet him and see what he was like. She told me she would bring us all lunch to the house so she could meet everyone. I remember when she walked in, she saw these two long haired guys and kept looking from one to the other. She later told me she was praying that the one with the piercings and tattoos wasn't Todd, and was so relieved when I introduced that one as Colby. We talked about the craziness on campus (minus the details of ditching 1st hour) and what we had planned for Sunday. Everyone loved my mom with her Southern accent, good sense of humor and unsuccessful attempts to be "cool" in front of my friends. It was a great time.

I knew most students were not going back to class that day, claiming that their parents were too afraid to let them return. So they decided there was to be no official attendance the rest of the day. With that information, do you even have to ask what our plans were? Well they DID NOT include driving back to school, that's for sure. My mom decided that was fine, she headed to work and we hung at the house for a couple hours so I could be there to answer the automated phone call that is made to parents when you turn up absent from one of your classes. And you had to listen to the entire message, because if you hung up in the middle, it would call back a couple hours later. So the call came,

"This is Dobson High School calling to inform you that your child has been absent from one or more classes in the most recent school day..." blah blah blah

I listened, hung up at the end of the call, and left, excited to spend the rest of the day sans teachers, lockers, dress codes (that I was always violating) or tests.

And off we were again, for another adventure in the big, blue "Hoopty-Mobile. "

Details of the date will follow...

9 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Blogger Rik said...

wow, this some awesome story!

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger dan said...

we used to get bomb threats all the time at school.

i reckon they were always made by somebody who hadn't completed their homework.

we never panicked either.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger RC666 said...

I used to hang out with the guy who made the bomb threats, but this was shortly after Columbine so they weren't taken lightly. I am pretty sure he's in jail now, but good story thus far!

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Martini Love said...

I hated that machine that would call the house... thankfully I was always home (skipping another class) and I answered the phone!!

Scary bomb threat I am glad that never happened to us!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger dan said...

machines that called the house? we just got letters sent home.

the flaw in this plan, being that the teachers gave them to us to take them.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger happyandblue2 said...

Great story. I sense that something exciting is about to happen..

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Amber Lynn said...

My husband went to Dobson. haha. Class of '94 beotches.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Rainypete said...

A robotic snitch!!?? How creepy.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger happyandblue2 said...

Popping in to wish you a very Merry Christmas..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home