Friday, December 02, 2005

So, a month later...

Am I any more sane? uh...no.

Am I any more "over him"? umm...not quite yet...

Am I feeling better? nope.

Have I found a better doctor? lol, nada.

Am I glad to be back? YOU BET!!

Okay, so I'm back. It seems to always be an on again - off again thing with me and the blog-ster. Well I keep coming back and he keeps letting me in. All I have to do is flaunt my password and here I am again.

So you might ask what's been going on? Uh...literally nothing. Every day of the last month has somehow faded into each other and suddenly a month has gone by.

Thanksgiving...gone. I watched reruns of That 70's show and ate peanut butter toast. I was going to cook a small Thanksgiving dinner but I didn't feel up to it. I was too late getting back to a friend for her to come over and my dad chose to have dinner with his ex instead of me. But I really like being alone sometimes. I was feeling pretty bad and wouldn't have been much company so it was better off that I was alone anyway. Christmas will be different. It's going to be at our house this year. Me, Martini, Mellow and Mojo. And it's gonna be an Italian Christmas. What is that you say? Could it be that we all get to bring tall dark and handsome Italian to dinner. Unfortunately no. But we will all prepare the next best thing...Italian FOOD. One thing I know will be on the menu is this:

Italian Macaroni and Cheese

Butter, for greasing dish
12 ounces wide egg noodles
3 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for pasta water
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups (packed) grated Fontina
3/4 cup (packed) finely grated Parmesan
3/4 cup (packed) grated mozzarella
4 ounces cooked ham, diced, optional
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Drain well, but do not rinse. Whisk the cream, milk, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in large bowl to blend. Stir in 1 cup Fontina, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2 cup mozzarella, ham, if using, and parsley. Add the noodles and toss to coat. Transfer the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish. Toss the remaining 1 cup Fontina, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 cup mozzarella in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the noodle mixture. Bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts and begins to brown on top, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

And possibly this if we get into cooking for some reason...

Chicken Carbonara

2 teaspoons olive oil
4 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
8 large egg yolks
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
Salt
1 pound spaghetti
4 cups coarsely shredded chicken (from 1 roasted chicken)
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel

Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and garlic and saute until it is brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk together the cream, cheese, yolks, basil, and parsley to blend.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the spaghetti and cook until it is just tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Drain.

Add the chicken to the pan with the pancetta and stir to combine. Next, add the spaghetti and the cream mixture and toss over medium-low heat until the chicken is heated through and the sauce coats the spaghetti thickly, about 4 minutes (do not boil or you might end up scrambling the eggs). Season the pasta, to taste, with pepper and salt if needed (the pancetta will likely add all the salt you need). Transfer the pasta to a large wide serving bowl. Sprinkle the walnuts and lemon zest over, and serve.

Okay now I am hungry. I'm gonna get ready to go. Martini is craving bleu cheese (yes bleu instead of blue, I guess the french are to thank for that) and ranch salad. I'm not sure what I want. But as long as I'm not cooking it, it's all good.

Hope to post again soon...

7 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger Martini Love said...

OH MY GOD I NEED A DRINK ....only 45 minutes. And I am so getting my salad woo hoo, and I am thinking a martini (duh ha!) or still craving vanilla vodka we'll see. In 45 minutes

I hate that you were here on Turkey day all alone. X-Mas will kick some Italian Ass .. and it will be fun I promise you.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Amber Lynn said...

Oh how fun! I will be in Chandler for Christmas.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger dan said...

i'm sure you'll have afatabulous christmas.

thanks for the recipes, but me being a man, i'll stil screw them up ina comedy shop way.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger happyandblue2 said...

Glad you are back. You do sound happier..

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger That Girl said...

yum. i think i gained 4 pounds just reading that. must mean it's good!

i'm glad you are back. you do sound better. it sounds like christmas will be a lot of fun. could you tell mellow that i say hi? hope she is well too...

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger RC666 said...

Welcome back! A new year is coming, hopefully it will be a happier and more exciting one!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger jyny said...

Thanks guys for your comments. It's so nice to talk to you all again! :) I've missed you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home